Tuesday, September 13, 2011

I Repaired the Chair…


If you’re like me (i.e., champagne taste on a beer budget), you have probably purchased a designer knockoff something-or-other. For me, it was the Barcelona chair.

Image via DWR.com

I think the cushions on my knockoff version are real leather, but the straps underneath are made of some mystery leatherish cardboard-like composite, which eventually break. (Cue whomp whomp music…)



Thanks to Retro Ranch Revamp, I learned how to replace the straps. Now my chair is like new and slightly better than the knockoff version because now some of the straps are real gen-u-ine leather. 

As far as the leather punching tool I purchased to complete the project, well, I wouldn't say I was a huge fan. Click here to read my review on Amazon.  Also, if you happen to be at work, be careful about the sites that show up when you search for leather straps!

Additionally, you may be interested to know that the issues with this knockoff chair don’t stop with the cheap straps. We found out the hard way it has a weight limit. A word of warning: be careful about who (or how many people) you let sit in it The metal frame is not that sturdy and will slowly compress. 

Due to my rather Liliputian size, my boyfriend and I could sit side-by-side in it just fine. However, some friends came over to watch a movie and by the end of the night, they were practically sitting on the floor.  We were able to stretch it back out for the most part, but I’m not sure it’s really the same now.


Anyway, if you find yourself with broken straps, check out Retro Ranch Revamp’s how-to guide

All photos were taken by me except where noted.

No comments:

Post a Comment